Can you imagine enjoying a weekend in a setting with unforgettable vistas of terraced hillsides, nestled in unblemished valleys, covered by impressive vineyards and olive groves? A setting embraced by mountain peaks, crossed by lazily flowing rivers and dotted by towns dating to prehistoric times. That’s what Priorat in Spain in all about.
Treat yourself to a weekend in the Priorat accompanied by expert oenophiles and wine-makers eager to share with you the love of their product.
This rural, mountainous natural reserve, only one hour south-west of Barcelona, is where you will encounter centuries-old wine-making traditions. Where you will find lovely, rustic hotels that are owned and managed by townsfolk who are proud of the beauty and culture of their surroundings.
The Priorat is a place that offers unforgettable experiences, all central to the culture of wine.
Example of a Winery Getaway Priorat Experience
The following ideas are suggested by Alberta La Grup, a Spanish agency specialising in Lifestyle Management and Experiences Creation.
- Two nights en suite in a "rustic" boutique hotel, prettily furnished with plush beds and simple country decor. They can reserve rooms for you that have private balconies overlooking the vineyards, or others with unparalleled vistas of the valley and the river below.
- Butler service to serve you coffee or tea in bed, accompanied by delicious homemade marmalades and cheeses.
- Your personal concierge from Alberta La Grup will create itineraries especially for you; walks through picturesque towns of stone houses; through valleys, where you can enjoy the last hours of sun at small river pools, while being cooled by the spray of waterfalls; or hiking the trails of the Parque Natural de Montsant, to enjoy the splendor of nature.
- A picnic lunch of fresh local products, all homemade and lovingly prepared.
- A visit to a winery, which is really a must! They will organize an exclusive visit to a family-run vineyard, where wine is produced in traditional age-old manners, with grapes that have been picked by hand. The owner and vintner will take you to the vineyard where you will be treated to a private tour, and where he will share with you the philosophy behind his wine-making and an explanation of the wine-making process. Being the sole guests, you will be able to enjoy the tranquility of the vineyards and the undivided attention of the vintner.
- A wine-tasting, where you will be able to sample some of the best wines of the region.
- They can also arrange a visit to the local producer of one of the most famous Kosher wines in the world.
- Dine at a local restaurant that boasts a Michelin-trained chef, expert in the ingredients of the region. Do you have dietary restrictions? Aside from the usual entrées and homemade desserts, your personal concierge can arrange a delicious menu according to your needs.
- A private tour of an olive oil producer, to witness the oil-making process and learn about the subtle distinctions between the various kinds of olives.
- The unique experience of a visit to an apiary, where you can see how honey is made and delight in the tasting of the different flavors.
- Luxury private transportation to and from the winery region.